Friday, March 13, 2009

One Giant Leap

Its been said that we are what we eat, and I guess that is how I went from being a Bahama Mama to a Jersey Girl. I arrived in the country in 2001 to attend Rutgers University and I guess it grew on me because 8 years later, I own and run a Bakery / Catering company called De'Light B's Gourmet in the Trenton Farmers Market in Lawrence New Jersey.

Looking back recently as I was reciting the story of how my company was started (raising money for Relay for Life) at Rutgers University. I realized that my story didn't quite start there, it was much earlier than that. I grew up in a huge extended family and it is how I learned how to cook, to be inventive. Its what gave me the skills to create flavor combinations and season correctly. But the first role I ever had on my own actually "marketing" something that was baked by myself for sale, I was 14 years old.

Two years prior my Mummy had been diagnosed with breast cancer and had surgery, the medical bills were piling up so as was and still is the custom at home, a "Cookout" was held helped to make money. I wanted to make my own contribution, not just peal carrots or clean chicken so my Dad gave me money to get the supplies for cheesecakes. I don't remember how much I made but I do remember standing there serving slices to people and feeling as if, like my Mummy always said "I can do anything."

This blog is a celebration of that feeling, of striving for your goals. Its a celebration of family and friends and loved ones that gather around food as a focal point and create lasting memories. Its a celebration of the people from every walk of life that dedicate their lives to producing excellent food and services. This blog is a celebration for my Mummy, even though she lost her brave battle with breast cancer in May of 1999, much, if not all I do is inspired by her, the most passionate teacher I ever had.


Come EAT with ME New Jersey!

No comments:

Post a Comment